Monday, January 8, 2007

Reraising pre-flop with unmade hands

I have been playing NLHE for several years and until recently my tight, straightforward style has seen me loathe to reraise limpers or raisers pre-flop with anything but top pairs (AA, KK, and QQ) and occaisionally AK suited or JJ. With lower aces and middle pairs I've been happy to flat-call and see a flop. However, I have long noticed that top players reraise much more often preflop than would be possible if they were only raising with these top-top hands. In addition, I have always been one of those players who wants to put the pressure on my opponents to make the tough decisions, whether it's pre- or post-flop. (If I am the first one into a pot I nearly ALWAYS raise coming in). Thus, I have started to loosen my requirements for reraising preflop, especially in NL cash games, and I have found it to be a very effective strategy, for a lot of reasons.
- Position: Reraising preflop from late position serves to re-establish one's position in the hand and once again puts the onus of decision-making on the other player.
- Narrowing the field: I generally don't want more than two other players in the hand pre-flop - the reraise serves to shut out those players who would have limped in with small pairs or medium suited connectors (and could only play beyond the flop if they hit their hands) and hopefully get only the hands that I would want to face to call - medium pairs and lesser aces.
- Gaining info: If I reraise and get a caller or two I "know" that they must have some strength. Plus if they reraise me and I am in with a less-than-premium hand I can toss it away for a minimal loss. If I hit the flop and bet and get a caller I can slow down on the turn and river if I think I have kicker trouble or reel them in if my hand is truly huge. And of course if they bet into me and my hand is no good I have an easy fold - I don't have to wonder if they are betting an actual hand: since I raised them and they are betting into me they've just gotta have something good.
- Building a pot/stealing a "plus" pot: A reraise builds bigger pots when you are representing a big hand and can steal a pot that contains not just the blinds but the chips of a couple of limpers as well. Even stealing one "plus" pot like this every round or two can make a big difference in your stack.
- Value: The preflop reraise gets you more value for your lesser hands. It's very difficult to tell where you stand post-flop with medium pairs like 77 up to 10 10, but if you have reraised pre-flop and only one overcard comes it makes it easier for you to represent that your hand is at least as good as the top card on the flop.
In my view the pre-flop reraise is most effective in position. If I am in the blinds with a hand lower than AK or JJ and several folks have limped or called a small raise I am much more likely to play a trapping style with these lesser hands and just call, hoping to hit my hand hard and trap the other players for at least one round of bets. I also find this play more effective in cash games. In tourneys or sit & go's , especially when the stacks are still deep in relation to the blinds, it's difficult to get people off half-decent hands if your reraise represents only a small portion of their stack, whereas in cash games people seem to want to have a big hand before they risk several blinds on a flop.

No comments:

Donate to the ASPCA Today!