Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Maybe Kings aren't SO bad...

Played about an hour of 25/50 cent NL on Pokerstars and absolutely crushed, in no small part thanks to Kings! 3 hands did the damage:
- On one table, I held KsKh in late position with about 28 bucks in front of me. The big stack (over $200) standard-raised to $2 and the player next to me, with about $18, made it $4 to go. I decided to isolate and take my chances, figuring the big stack couldn't call without exactly AA, and pushed all-in. The big stack folded and the other player took time, so I knew I was in great shape, and then called. On the river, the board showed 4 diamonds with a 10 and a Jack but fortunately for me the caller had QsQh and I scooped a very nice pot.
- On my other table, I got three big hands in a row and made the most of them. I had 10 10 in the big blind and checked a six-way limped pot. The flop came K-J-4, UTG bet out, and everyone folded, including me. No harm no foul !
Very next hand I had JJ in the small blind and the player on the button, who ALWAYS raised on the button if first to act, made it $2 to go. I decided to call and see a flop, once again thinking I could fold if overcards came. The button had fewer chips than I did, so I was willing to pay him off if he did indeed have an overpair, and in addition I had out-finessed him in an earlier hand when I flat-called his button raise with 10 10, flat-called his flop bet when 3 undercards came, and check-raised him on the turn when a Queen came, causing him to fold. In this hand, the flop came 8-7-5 rainbow and I decided to bet out $3, figuring him for overcards. To my surprise he raised it to $7, and I quickly called. The turn was a 3 and I bet out again, but kept it a small $4. Again I was surprised when he pushed in for his remaining stack, about $16, and I briefly went into the tank before calling. My reasoning was that he had to be on a draw of some sort, because I just didn't think he would play a big hand like trips, a BIG pair, or even two pair that fast, or that maybe he had 99 or 10 10 and thought he was ahead and wanted to get me off MY draw. It turned out that my first impression was correct, as he actually had 7-6, so he had hit the flop hard and actually made a pretty good play on the pot with a hand that he really couldn't fold. Fortunately for me the river was a blank and I was able to scoop a very big pot.
Amazingly, on the very next hand, I got KINGS on the button! An early position player made it $1.50 to go and I decided to reraise to $4.00, which he called. The flop came K-9-7, all diamonds, and the other player bet out $3.50, which suggested to me that he had at least the Q or Ace of diamonds in his hand but probably hadn't made a flush. I immediately raised it up to $8, figuring there was no way either one of us could fold and so I might as well get my money in while I was ahead, and he called. The turn was an offsuit 3, and he checked to me, so I made another $8 bet, giving him the proper odds to call with his flush draw while at the same time KNOWING that I could fold to his river bet if another diamond did come. Magically, the river was the case King, giving me quads, but making it impossible for him to call my $9 river bet. I showed the Kings and commented "10 10 JJ and KK in a row" and got a couple of "nh"s for my effort.
The Kings weren't all good today though, as in a later hand I raised UTG with KK and the same guy who was in my previous hand called in late position. I bet the Ace-rag-rag flop, and he called, so I shut it down on the turn and folded to his turn bet. They can't ALWAYS win...but you knew that.

No comments:

Donate to the ASPCA Today!