Monday, April 13, 2009

Honk If You Love Live Donks

OK first the I-didn't-cash news. Played in the Pokerstars VIP freeroll and also the$16.50 SCOOP #3 on 4/4 at 1430 and failed to cash in either. I was card dead in the VIP and out within the first hour losing a flip. In the SCOOP I played really well but missed a few big draws and lost a flip at the end to bubble. I also played in a $20 NLHE tourney yesterday on Stars and got bumped in the 2nd hour when my QQ < AK all-in preflop as the flop obviously came A-K-2.
On Saturday I got the chance to play some live $1/$2 NL (60 min / 300 max buy-in) at Foxwoods. I've played a lot of 1/2, 2/4, 4/8 limit live but had played live NL only once before, a few months back at Mohegan, where I lost less than a buy-in. I was fortunate enough to sit down at a new table with a bunch of guys eager to spew chips in my direction. I brought $120 to seat five.
On the very first hand I looked down at two beautiful red ladies and made it $8 from middle position after it had folded to me. The button and both blinds called and we saw a Jc-7c-7x flop. I c-bet $10 and was called in all 3 spots. The turn was a total blank, I bet $10 again for value, all 3 called. The river was the 10s, I chose to check this time and it checked around and my queens were good for about an $80 profit. The only reason I checked the river was because I did not want to get check-raised and have to call - it was the first pot at a new table so it was more than possible that someone had a 7 in their hand. As it turned out that I did avoid a check raise - one of the blinds had Jack-Ten and was poised to reraise me thinking that he'd just beaten AJ KJ and QJ. And overpairs - the dealer had to explain to him that Queens and 7's are better than Jacks and Tens.
I continued to run hot. In one hand I raised to $10 with AKss preflop and was able to get someone to call me for $15 on all 3 streets after a King hi flop. One pair = nuts against that guy. I made a double-barrel bluff with Queen-hi on a low card board with 3 clubs and got opp't to fold on the river. Sadly, when I got Aces and raised, everyone folded behind me. I won a nice side pot when I fished with AcJh, catching Jd on the turn after a QcJc2x flop and getting called for $30. Of course the river King gave the main pot to the all-in guy who held KJss. Nevertheless, after about 40 minutes of play I had turned my $120 stack into over $350.
I played about another half-hour and one more hand of consequence took place. A woman who had just sat down 3 seats to my right raised it up to $15, after having made the same raise on the previous hand with AK off (she won that pot). I looked down at red QQ and flat-called. The guy two to my left (who had been paying me off and rebuying every 20 minutes) also called. The flop came Jx-6s-4s, she bet $15, I raised to $30 both for value and for info, the 3rd player called all-in, and she called. The turn came the 8s, she checked, and I once again made it $30 and was called. At this point I suddenly figured I wasn't getting the best of it, unless she somehow had exactly AJ or 10-10, and when the 6c came pairing the board on the river I checked behind and saw that indeed she had the AKss. Curiously enough the other player in the hand ALSO had a flush, meaning she hit one of only 7 spades (and meaning he called $15 with no better than QJss). I really don't know if it was a mistake to bet the turn when the flush hit - I guess I was trying to build a side pot in case the 3rd player had me beat, not considering that the woman could also have me crunched. After that big loss I decided to quit while I was ahead and left the table with $260. Book $140 profit. And then lose most of it at the craps table...ohhhh forget about that part...

No comments:

Donate to the ASPCA Today!